Saturday, January 21, 2006

Flea Market Find

We went down to the local Sunday flea market - I was hoping to find some magazines to use for my glue books. There were plenty of magazines, but I told Ken I would wait until we had seen everything. I'm so glad that we did. I found an illustrated encyclopedia (I think it's from the 1930's) the seller wanted $5 - I didn't argue. Although I said to Ken as we walked away that if he knew what I was going to do with it he would probably be horrified. I think I'm going to alter it, but I'm not sure yet.



5 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I don't envy your decision:-) I know I couldn't do it. It's in excellent condition, a beautifully bound book and the pages are perfect. A rare find.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Rhonda Halushka said...

PERFECT for ALTERING!!!

I love finds like that! I am working on an altered dictionary -- just a plain kids dictionary -- I will post a couple pages I have done from it.

It is so much fun to alter books like that. I like old scientific or engineering texts too. I found a couple of mechanical engineering books (one in German too) and am going to alter those one day. Lots of cool drawings in them to work around.

HAVE FUN!!!

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Hey Megan, don't listen to me. Sounds like the thumbs up from Rhonda means you are onto something good:-) Rhonda's book looks great.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

I would find it VERY hard to alter such a beautiful book - but then I used to think I would rather cut off my right arm than alter ANY book. I still have my right arm and lots of altered books now.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Gwen M. Myers said...

Megan Sweetie, you've given me some wonderful ideas for some ancient textbooks I bought at an estate sale for 2$ a paper grocery bag full. There is the Range Plant Handbook, I see the seed heads from various grasses dried and glued to pages, and small sketches in pen-and-ink, pencil, or watercolour interspersed, maybe even cover the book itself in Korean Grass Paper. Oh, such fun I will have!!! I must get Mum going with this too!!!!
Love, hugs and kisses,
Gwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home